Contribute to advancing robotic-assisted surgery while working for a company that respects, values, and appreciates all team members!
Why you’ll love working at Virtual Incision:
- Strong mission to expand access to robotic-assisted surgery, one of the most exciting fields in healthcare today.
- A company-wide dedication to clinical excellence, innovation, and teamwork.
- Friendly, open, and fun culture.
- Opportunity to take ownership of exciting projects from day one.
- Career development through a fast pace and an all-hands-on-deck culture.
- Mentorship from some of the top industry experts.
- Flexible working hours, including paid vacation and holidays.
- Healthcare programs including medical, dental, and vision.
- 401(k) retirement plan.
- Company-paid life insurance.
As a senior embedded engineer focused on vision and imaging for next generation versions of Virtual Incision’s products, you will design, prototype, test, and produce cutting-edge vision/imaging software to advance the field of robotic-assisted surgery (RAS). You will own projects from concept to completion, as a collaborative effort with mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, software engineers, scientists, surgeons, vendors, and other subject-matter experts.
- Design and develop embedded software for medical vision instruments.
- Create algorithms for image analysis, image manipulation and image enhancements.
- Architect and implement low-latency uncompressed high-definition video pipelines.
- Assist in the definition, creation, and analysis of system requirements for new vision products.
- Analyze, review, and evaluate design alternatives and failure modes.
- Design and write verification protocols for created designs.
- Conduct integration and verification test activities.
- Conduct clinical and benchtop testing activities.
- Develop Design History File (DHF) deliverables.
- Participate in Risk Analysis activities.
- Support process and design improvement initiatives.
- Participate in technical reviews.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Experienced in the design and implementation of vision / imaging critical software and hardware products.
- Able to adapt to situations that require exploring wide-open idea spaces as well as those that require finding creative solutions to highly-constrained design problems.
- Understand the value of creating prototype algorithms to answer questions but will not be afraid to work through problems on a whiteboard either.
- A cross-disciplinary team member who is excited to work with and learn from software, mechanical, and electrical engineers, as well as subject-matter experts outside of these disciplines.
- Strong at executing and delivering high quality products.
- Able to take ownership of an assigned project, drive to achieve milestones, and mentor younger engineers.
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering or Science discipline (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science etc) required.
- 2-10+ years of experience in vision / image design / coding (owning products from concept to production) required.
- Deep understanding of canonical image processing concepts, techniques, and algorithms required.
- Experience with either embedded Linux, DSP, or FPGA-based development required.
- Proven track record of building real-time, low-latency systems required
- Problem-solving and design experience required.
- Familiarity with Camera ISP blocks from at least one IP vendor preferred.
- PCIe interfacing experience preferred.
- Familiarity with 3A implementation preferred.
- Lattice FPGA workflow experience Previous medical device or other regulated industry preferred.
- Knowledge of FDA Quality System and Design processes preferred.